The unprecedented rainfall in Korea to land hard on nonlife insurers on soaked cars
According to multiple sources from the non-life insurance industry on Thursday, SFMI has received claims for 2,946 water-damaged cars from Aug. 8 to 10 as of 3 p.m., resulting to an estimated loss of 47.6 billion won ($36.6 million). The claims surged after the torrential rain inundated the capital’s affluent Gangnam and Seocho areas in southern Seoul.
Of the vehicles, 1,804 were domestic cars with losses amounting to 17.8 billion won and 1,142 import cars with losses totaling 29.8 billion won.
The losses from vehicle damages surged because affluent Gangnam area with many luxurious super cars had been bombarded by floods, said an unnamed official from the non-life insurance industry. “The losses have doubled the usual wet season,” the person added.
SFMI on Thursday disclosed that its net profit was up 0.8 percent on year to 749.9 billion won in the January-June period. The non-life insurer’s bottom line in the second quarter gained 9 percent on year but fell 16.7 percent on quarter to 340.8 billion won. Operating profit was up 8.4 percent on year but down 16.3 percent on quarter to 490.1 billion won. Revenue gained 1.8 percent on year and 2.4 percent on quarter to 5 trillion won.
Other major non-life insurers would likely see spike in loss ratios as well, which could translate into a rise in overall auto insurance fees in the country.
DB Insurance has received claims for 1,638 damaged cars between Aug. 8 to 10 as of 4:40 p.m., resulting to 20.2 billion won in losses. More than 500 were import cars.
Hyundai Marine & Fire Insurance also faces 11.54 billion won in losses from 1,284 vehicles claimed between Aug. 8 and 10 as of noon. Of them, 292 were import cars with losses totaling 5.17 billion won.
[ⓒ Maeil Business Newspaper & mk.co.kr, All rights reserved]
ⓒ 매일경제 & mk.co.kr, 무단 전재, 재배포 및 AI학습 이용 금지
- PearlAbyss swing to loss in Q2, Neowiz income halved, Com2uS in record sales - Pulse by Maeil Business News Korea
- Korea’s M2 rises amid surge in bank savings following rate increases - Pulse by Maeil Business News Korea
- HMM Q2 OP more than doubles on year to $2.2 billion - Pulse by Maeil Business News Korea
- Shinsegae’s Q2 earnings hit records on recovered store sales from reopening - Pulse by Maeil Business News Korea
- Samsung unveils 4th-Gen foldables with enhanced features at capped prices - Pulse by Maeil Business News Korea
- ‘오열’ 차태현 측 “아내 투병 NO, 컨디션 난조일뿐”[공식]
- [신정현의 ‘인물로 보는 차 이야기’] (3) 언제부터 차를 마셨는지 아시나요?
- 현아도 입술 피어싱? 파격 변신에 ‘깜짝’ [똑똑SNS] - MK스포츠
- 이찬원, 이태원 참사에 "노래 못해요" 했다가 봉변 당했다
- 침착맨, 주호민 탓? 결국 장기 활동 중단