US cybersecurity startup Theori cofounded by a Korean draws funding from Korean capital
Theori received funds worth 20 billion won ($15.45 million) from Korean firms, including Hana Bank, Silicon Valley-based investment firm K2G and cryptocurrency exchange operator Dunamu.
The cybersecurity startup focused on cybersecurity consulting and R&D was founded in 2016 by a team of hackers - chief executive officer Park Se-joon and chief technology officer Andrew Wesie who were alumni of Carnegie Mellon University.
It has carried out over 100 projects with 50 major firms, including Google, Microsoft, Samsung Electronics, LG Electronics, Naver, and Kakao. Korean online banking firms, such as Kakao Bank, Toss, Dunamu, and Coinone, use its security solutions, while game firms, such as Nexon, NCSoft, and Krafton, employed its anti-hacking programs.
The company has conducted research projects jointly with governments, including the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) under the U.S. Department of Defense and South Korea’s Defense Ministry.
The firm’s primary strength is its world-class team of researchers and technicians, who have conquered DEF CON, the world’s largest hacker convention, five times and many other international competitions. It is headquartered in Austin, Texas, with an office in Seoul.
Theori plans to use the fund of 20 billion won to expand its business and nurture talents for advanced security consulting. It will develop an automated security service based on software as a service (SaaS) to provide its solutions at cheaper prices. “We put our full energy to provide essential services to meet the rising demand for cybersecurity,” said CEO Park.
[ⓒ Maeil Business Newspaper & mk.co.kr, All rights reserved]
Copyright© 매일경제 & mk.co.kr. 무단 전재, 재배포 및 AI학습 이용 금지
- Nexon owner family to pay $4.6 inherence tax via financing instead of sale of units - Pulse by Maeil Business News Korea
- KB Securities tops both ECM and DCM league tables in Korea for H1 - Pulse by Maeil Business News Korea
- SK ecoplant raises $771 mn in pre-IPO financing rounds - Pulse by Maeil Business News Korea
- BOK chief Rhee to attend Jackson Hole meeting as session speaker in August - Pulse by Maeil Business News Korea
- Seoul authorities spend record $8.3 bn Q1 on USD-buying intervention, may go higher Q2 - Pulse by Maeil Business News Korea
- RM·뷔도 ‘아미’ 된다...오늘(11일) 논산훈련소 입대[MK이슈]
- 노후계획도시 특별법에 들뜬 1기 신도시 분당·평촌 들썩…선도지구 지정이 관건 [감평사의 부
- 티아라 출신 아름, 이혼·재혼 동시 발표…“소송 끝나는 대로 혼인신고”(전문)[MK★이슈] - MK스
- 이찬원, 이태원 참사에 "노래 못해요" 했다가 봉변 당했다
- 정우성, 천만 꿈 이루나…‘서울의 봄’ 주말에만 120만명