EV charging rates to rise by 7% with sunset of special discount in Korea
The Ministry of Trade, Industry and Energy and the Ministry of Environment announced Tuesday that the special discount to the EV charging rates will end this month.
State utility Korea Electric Power Corp. (KEPCO) introduced the discount program in 2017 to accelerate EV penetration in Korea. KEPCO last year shouldered about 30 billion won ($23.1 million) for the subsidy.
It intended to end the program to improve its earnings in 2019 but ended up extending it to the end of this month in the face of strong opposition from consumers. But the government has decided to go along with KEPCO¡¯s wishes amid the utility monopoly¡¯s swelling deficit.
With the expiration, EV charging rates rise to 313.1 won per kWh by 6.9 percent from 292.9 won based on Hyundai Ioniq 5.
The government is reviewing options to reduce customer burden.
[¨Ï Maeil Business Newspaper & mk.co.kr, All rights reserved]
Copyright© 매일경제 & mk.co.kr. 무단 전재, 재배포 및 AI학습 이용 금지
- Single-living household in S. Korea to hit 40% in 2050, half lived be elderly - Pulse by Maeil Business News Korea
- Lotte Chemical to command capacity in four key solvents for lithium-ion battery - Pulse by Maeil Business News Korea
- KCCI and SK chief meets business leaders in Japan on signs of thawing in bilateral relations - Pulse by Maeil Business News Kore
- Hanjin Transportation to invest $859 mn through 2025 to expand global logistics - Pulse by Maeil Business News Korea
- US will rely on partners-led sanctions on N.K. and Russia to contain aggression: Treasury Under Secretary - Pulse by Maeil Busin
- ‘3일의 휴가’ 신민아 “母된다면 친구같은...연예인은 반대”[인터뷰]
- ‘끈끈한 우정’ 김상열-김홍국 알고 보니… [BUSINESS]
- “꿈 포기 말길”…피프티피프티 키나, 첫 정산금 1천만 원 기부(공식) - MK스포츠
- 이찬원, 이태원 참사에 "노래 못해요" 했다가 봉변 당했다
- 오은영까지 찾아갔는데...최민환·율희, 결혼 5년만 파경[종합]