Hyundai and Kia shares plummet upon German probe on defeat device
Shares of Hyundai Motor closed down 5.65 percent to 175,500 won ($135.21) after going as low as 172,500 won ($133.48). Kia¡¯s slid 6.11 percent to 76,900 after hitting 76,000 won.
A spokesperson of Hyundai Motor Group said the company was cooperating with authorities.
According to foreign media reports, Frankfurt state prosecutor raided eight Hyundai and Kia business properties in Germany and Luxembourg in coordination with the European agency Eurojust.
In a statement released by the prosecution office, Hyundai and Kia allegedly put 21,000 diesel cars fitted with illegal defeat devices on the road. Defeat devices are software that can alter vehicle emission levels and auto manufacturers can use them to hide the true pollution levels of their vehicles.
The engine software that is being investigated is presumed to have come from Bosch and Delphi under the U.S. auto supplier BorgWarner group.
[¨Ï Maeil Business Newspaper & mk.co.kr, All rights reserved]
Copyright© 매일경제 & mk.co.kr. 무단 전재, 재배포 및 AI학습 이용 금지
- SK materials, Showa Denko seek joint entry into US semiconductor gas market - Pulse by Maeil Business News Korea
- A decade-long Seoul vs Lone Star dispute to draw final ruling in 120 days - Pulse by Maeil Business News Korea
- Korean big biz groups rethinking capex in US amid rising USD and interest rates - Pulse by Maeil Business News Korea
- Buyback and treasury retiring in fashion to survive bear market in Korea - Pulse by Maeil Business News Korea
- Single-living household in S. Korea to hit 40% in 2050, half lived be elderly - Pulse by Maeil Business News Korea
- 강경준, 상간남 피소…사랑꾼 이미지 타격 [MK픽] - 스타투데이
- 한국 휩쓴 ‘성공 포르노’…혹시 당신의 마음도 훔쳤나요? [스페셜리포트]
- 마약 투약한 뒤 거리 활보…30대 작곡가, 구속당했다 [MK★이슈] - MK스포츠
- 이찬원, 이태원 참사에 "노래 못해요" 했다가 봉변 당했다 - 스타투데이
- 양희은·양희경 자매, 오늘(4일) 모친상 - 스타투데이