'Hansan: Rise of the Dragon' director, cast hold press conference
The director and cast of "Hansan: Rise of the Dragon" held a press conference at Lotte Cinema in Gwangjin District, eastern Seoul, on Tuesday.
The upcoming movie serves as a prequel to the country's No. 1 box office hit "The Admiral: Roaring Currents," which was released in 2014.
Both films are part of director Kim Han-min's trilogy depicting Yi Sun-shin (1545–1598), a victorious naval commander of the Korean fleet during the Imjin War (1592–98) in the Joseon Dynasty (1392-1910).
“The Admiral: Roaring Currents” was about the Battle of Myeongnyang (1597). "Hansan: Rise of the Dragon" takes place five years before and depicts Yi Sun-shin during the Battle of Hansan (1592).
"When I got the idea to make a movie about Yi Sun-shin, I knew it couldn't all be contained in one film, so it became a trilogy," said Kim. "We filmed the movie with great respect. I hope that 'Hansan: Rise of the Dragon' can offer people courage, healing and a sense of solidarity. I also hope that this movie can bring people together as it stirs a sense of pride."
Actor Park Hae-il portrays Yi Sun-shin.
"When I was first offered the role, I felt pressured by having to act out such a historically famous figure, but after discussions with the director, I realized that there were parts that I could bring to the role," said Park, emphasizing that he focused on showcasing a wise, caring and noble side of Yi Sun-shin.
Other cast members of the film are Byun Yo-han as the Japanese general Wakisaka Yasuharu; Kim Sung-kyu as Japanese soldier Junsa; Kim Sung-kyun as Japanese general Kato Yoshiaki; Kim Hyang-gi as a Korean spy in the Japanese military camp, Jeong Bo-reum; and Ok Taec-yeon as Yi Sun-shin's courier Im Joon-young.
"Hansan: Rise of the Dragon" will premiere on July 27.
BY LEE JIAN [firstname.lastname@example.org]
Copyright© 코리아중앙데일리. 무단전재 및 재배포 금지.
- HYBE not required to disclose BTS 'hiatus,' Korea Exchange says
- No going back to normal for Korea's bathhouses, jjimjilbang
- BTS's V, Blackpink's Lisa, actor Park Bo-gum attend Paris Fashion Week's Celine show
- Son Heung-min mural painted on Tottenham building
- Samsung Electronics set to manufacture 3-nanometer chips
- Cha Eun-woo to tour Asia for fan meet-and-greet
- Son Ye-jin and Hyun Bin are expecting a baby
- After 512 episodes, Yumi and her cells say their final goodbye
- SK bioscience's Covid-19 vaccine clears major hurdle
- Actor Jung Eun-hye shows disability can't stop talent