Seoul to revise green taxonomy to include small module reactors
Minister of Environment Han Jeoung-ae in a press conference on Tuesday suggested the possibility of including SMRs in the country’s green taxonomy, under which sectors that are labeled as green can raise funds with low interest through green bond issues.
On Dec. 29, the Korean environment introduced the green taxonomy for the country. The guideline for green investment ranged from liquified natural gas power generation to blue hydrogen, while excluding nuclear power plants including SMR. The decision to exclude nuclear reactors, however, raised concerns for high financing cost, thus making the country’s related exports more expensive.
Criticism has grown stronger after the EU on Jan. 2 announced to include SMR in its green taxonomy. Among the global economies that have set up a green taxonomy, Korea is the only state which has omitted nuclear power. The EU will finalize its green taxonomy in three to four months.
The Korean environment ministry aims to revise the country’s green taxonomy by the end of this year after reviewing guidelines of the EU and others.
[ⓒ Maeil Business Newspaper & mk.co.kr, All rights reserved]
Copyright© 매일경제 & mk.co.kr. 무단 전재, 재배포 및 AI학습 이용 금지
- DSME wins $551.5 mn offshore plant contract from Chevron - Pulse by Maeil Business News Korea
- Investors turn wary as EU may disapprove KSOE-DSME shipyard marriage - Pulse by Maeil Business News Korea
- Seoul to revise green taxonomy to include small module reactors - Pulse by Maeil Business News Korea
- S. Korea’s national debt grows by largest-ever $256 mn under Moon government - Pulse by Maeil Business News Korea
- S. Korea beats employment target with biggest payroll addition in 2021 - Pulse by Maeil Business News Korea
- 강경준, 상간남 피소…사랑꾼 이미지 타격 [MK픽] - 스타투데이
- ‘온디바이스 AI’ 타고 훨훨…시총 1조 ‘훌쩍’ [MANAGEMENT]
- ‘위아래’ 만든 신사동호랭이, 숨진 채 발견…향년 41세 (공식) - MK스포츠
- 이찬원, 이태원 참사에 "노래 못해요" 했다가 봉변 당했다 - 스타투데이
- 양희은·양희경 자매, 오늘(4일) 모친상 - 스타투데이