LG Energy Solution secures 700,000 lithium concentrate supply from Australia
Under an offtake agreement, LG Energy Solution will receive the lithium spodumene concentrate supply from 2024 to 2028, according to industry sources on Wednesday.
The 700,000 dry metric tons of lithium spodumene concentrate is equivalent to producing 100,000 tons of lithium hydroxide, a key raw material with growing demand for easy mix with nickel for high-performance battery production. The supply will allow the company to make batteries that can power 2.5 million electric vehicles, running more than 500 kilometers on single charge.
Korean EV battery makers currently get 83.5 percent of their lithium hydroxide needs supplied from China, according to the Korea International Trade Association.
It reportedly is the first time for LG Energy Solution to sign lithium spodumene purchase contract with an Australian miner.
For nickel, the Korean battery maker has secured 20,000-ton supply through Ultium Cells, a 50:50 joint venture with American automaker General Motors that signed a deal with Canadian lithium-ion battery resource recovery company Li-Cycle.
On Wednesday, shares of LG Energy Solution’s parent LG Chem Ltd. gained 5.31 percent to close at 773,000 won. LG Energy Solution is scheduled to join the Kospi this month.
[ⓒ Maeil Business Newspaper & mk.co.kr, All rights reserved]
Copyright© 매일경제 & mk.co.kr. 무단 전재, 재배포 및 AI학습 이용 금지
- DSME wins $551.5 mn offshore plant contract from Chevron - Pulse by Maeil Business News Korea
- Investors turn wary as EU may disapprove KSOE-DSME shipyard marriage - Pulse by Maeil Business News Korea
- Seoul to revise green taxonomy to include small module reactors - Pulse by Maeil Business News Korea
- S. Korea’s national debt grows by largest-ever $256 mn under Moon government - Pulse by Maeil Business News Korea
- S. Korea beats employment target with biggest payroll addition in 2021 - Pulse by Maeil Business News Korea
- 강경준, 상간남 피소…사랑꾼 이미지 타격 [MK픽] - 스타투데이
- 지갑 여는 ‘대한 외국인’ [COVER STORY]
- 김신영 측 “‘전국노래자랑’ 하차 통보 당황…9일 마지막 녹화”(공식입장) - MK스포츠
- 이찬원, 이태원 참사에 "노래 못해요" 했다가 봉변 당했다 - 스타투데이
- 양희은·양희경 자매, 오늘(4일) 모친상 - 스타투데이