S. Korean Vietnam War veteran to take witness stand in case on civilian massacre
전체 맥락을 이해하기 위해서는 본문 보기를 권장합니다.
Ryu made his name and face public last July at a National Assembly roundtable to discuss enacting a special law to investigate civilian massacres by South Korean troops during the Vietnam War. At the time, he said, "We assembled all the women and older people who had been unable to flee at the center of a rice paddy, and some civilians were killed in the process."
At the same time, it stressed, "There are questions about the potential objectivity of examinations of journalists who interviewed veterans, or of Prof. Kang as someone who saw the original US Forces Korea inspection report."
이 글자크기로 변경됩니다.
(예시) 가장 빠른 뉴스가 있고 다양한 정보, 쌍방향 소통이 숨쉬는 다음뉴스를 만나보세요. 다음뉴스는 국내외 주요이슈와 실시간 속보, 문화생활 및 다양한 분야의 뉴스를 입체적으로 전달하고 있습니다.
A Vietnam War veteran is appearing as a witness in a state compensation case filed against the South Korean government by the survivor of a civilian massacre by South Korean troops during the conflict.
This marks the first time a South Korean soldier who served in the war will be appearing in court in connection with a civilian massacre.
In a third hearing Tuesday in a state compensation case filed by massacre survivor Nguyen Thi Thanh, judge Park Jin-su of the Seoul Central District Court’s 68th civil division announced the witness selection of an individual surnamed Ryu, a former member of the 1st Company of the 1st Battalion of South Korea’s 2nd Marine Division, also known as the Blue Dragons, which was deployed to fight in the Vietnam War. The selection was based on a witness request by Nguyen.
Ryu previously appeared anonymously in a video to share details about the Phong Nhi and Phong Nhat massacre in a people’s tribunal held in April 2018 to investigate the massacres of civilians by South Korean troops during the Vietnam War.
The incident in question took place in February 1968 with the massacre of around 70 residents of Phong Nhi — a village in the city (now a district) of Dien Ban, Quang Nam Province — by South Korean troops affiliated with the Blue Dragons.
Nguyen, who was 8 years old at the time, was severely wounded in her left side by gunfire from members of the 1st Battalion’s 1st Company. Although she survived, she continues to suffer aftereffects from the incident to this day.
Nguyen lost five of her family members in the massacre, while her 14-year-old brother was severely injured.
Ryu made his name and face public last July at a National Assembly roundtable to discuss enacting a special law to investigate civilian massacres by South Korean troops during the Vietnam War. At the time, he said, “We assembled all the women and older people who had been unable to flee at the center of a rice paddy, and some civilians were killed in the process.”
Other witnesses requested by Nguyen included Kang Sung-hyun, a Sungkonghoe University professor who made copies of original US military inspection report documents on civilian massacres by South Korean troops, and Hankyoreh reporters Koh Kyoung-tae and Hwang Sang-cheol, who interviewed Vietnam veterans for the magazine Hankyoreh 21.
While the government’s legal team did not object to the request to call Ryu as a witness, it did voice reservations about the request to put reporters on the stand.
“This is something that happened a very long time ago, and the witnesses are very old,” the team noted.
“Some of the memories may have become distorted in the process, and since there are limits on what a single person is capable of observing and hearing in a setting where operations were taking place in military units, we will consider whether they might be able to supplement Ryu’s account or speak about other aspects,” it said.
At the same time, it stressed, “There are questions about the potential objectivity of examinations of journalists who interviewed veterans, or of Prof. Kang as someone who saw the original US Forces Korea inspection report.”
At the earliest, Ryu’s examination is scheduled to take place at a hearing on Nov. 16.
By Joh Yun-yeong, staff reporter
Please direct questions or comments to [firstname.lastname@example.org]
ⓒ 한겨레신문사, 무단전재 및 재배포 금지
- 단톡방의 ‘검은 리본들’…버티다 극단 선택한 자영업자 최소 22명
- 수도권 코로나 확진자 늘지만…“중증화율·치명률 감소, 병상도 여유”
- 광주형 일자리 1호차 캐스퍼 ‘쾌조의 스타트’…‘반값 임금’ 지원책은?
- “도무지 버틸 수가 없어 떠납니다” 시청 앞 674장의 ‘간호사 사직서’
- [성한용 칼럼] 심재륜의 검찰, 윤석열의 검찰
- 배우 문소리, 세 발의 반려견 달마를 만나 ‘동물권 가족’되다
- 수도권 코로나 확진자 늘지만…“중증화율·치명률 감소, 병상도 여유”
- 우리 생애 마지막 707일
- [단독] 역학조사관 1명 담당인구…남양주가 서울강북구 19배
- 태풍 ‘찬투’ 예상경로 다소 남쪽으로 이동…서울엔 비 안 와