Kakao and its units shares crash amid public shunning and regulatory buildup
이 글자크기로 변경됩니다.
(예시) 가장 빠른 뉴스가 있고 다양한 정보, 쌍방향 소통이 숨쉬는 다음뉴스를 만나보세요. 다음뉴스는 국내외 주요이슈와 실시간 속보, 문화생활 및 다양한 분야의 뉴스를 입체적으로 전달하고 있습니다.
Shares of Kakao finished Monday 4.23 percent lower at 124,500 won, Kakao Bank 6.24 percent at 64,600 won and Kakao Games 2.71 percent at 71,800 won.
The additional dumping wiped out more than 23.3 trillion won ($19.8 billion) from their combined market capitalization of 114.8 trillion won at the end of last month to 91.5 trillion won on Monday.
Kakao has become the No.1 platform service provider in Korea thanks to its vast user base of Kakao Talk, the chat application it launched in 2010 which almost every Korean now cannot do without. The messenger service is used by around 96 percent population in Korea.
Kakao Talk users can have easy and quick access to virtually every service ranging from shopping and money transfer to gift-giving and cap hailing, helping the company’s fast rise as the platform leader.
But the unrelenting business expansion has met with some criticism that it has been ruthlessly threatening the business of small merchants and self-employed people. Amid growing social scorn, the company is reportedly considering withdrawal from some businesses and measures to achieve balanced growth with merchants, according to sources.
Kakao has divested sound-performing businesses as stand-alone subsidiaries but they have been sprawling into various sectors to achieve independent growth. Kakao Pay, its simple payment unit, engages in insurance and brokerage business.
It is not the first time that Kakao is faced with such criticism. In 2016, it had planned to aggressively enter the house cleaning, chauffer matching and hair salon booking services, but dropped the business launches over public criticism. It had said it would focus on providing platform for online to offline (O2O) business as it concluded that it is inefficient to tap into every O2O business on its own.
[ⓒ Maeil Business Newspaper & mk.co.kr, All rights reserved]
ⓒ 매일경제 & mk.co.kr, 무단전재 및 재배포 금지
- Korea’s car output estimated to rise 4.4% on year, domestic sales down 3.5% this year - Pulse by Maeil Business News Korea
- The rise of self-made and younger billionaire tycoons in Korea stands out - Pulse by Maeil Business News Korea
- Seoul, Washington hold first ransomware meeting with U.S. ahead of Five Eyes joining - Pulse by Maeil Business News Korea
- This year’s WKF offers beauty, space, and money talks for free - Pulse by Maeil Business News Korea
- Korea’s Sept 1-10 exports up 30.7%, imports rise faster 60.6%, chip shipments fall - Pulse by Maeil Business News Korea
- ‘무대 이탈 후 여친과 뽀뽀’ 빅나티, 자필 사과...“치기 어린 생각”
- 익선·창신동 죽은 상권 살린 ‘미다스의 손’ 글로우서울 성공 비결은
- 클라라, 글래머러스 볼륨감+특유의 섹시미 발산
- 이찬원, 이태원 참사에 "노래 못해요" 했다가 봉변
- “많이 업혀볼걸”...빌리 문수아, 친오빠 故문빈 향한 그리움