Samsung heir Lee returns to prison upon sentenced 2 and 1/2 years jail term
Jay Y. Lee, Samsung Electronics Co. Vice Chairman and de facto leader of South Korea’s biggest conglomerate Samsung Group, is put behind bars for the second time over a bribery charge connected to the impeached President Park Geun-hye, leaving a leadership vacuum in the nation’s most valuable company in a critical time during the surge in chip demand, digital migration and ongoing pandemic crisis.
The Seoul High Court on Monday sentenced Lee to two and a half year prison term by upholding bribery conviction associated with Park and her long-time confidant Choi Soon-sil in return for their backing in solidifying his grip on the nation’s top conglomerate. “It is hard to verify effectiveness of Samsung’s legal compliance monitoring committee, and it is inappropriate to reflect it to the verdict,” the court said.
The de facto leader of Samsung Group was jailed in 2017 after receiving a five-year jail term and released in the following year after an appeals court gave a suspended term of two and a half years.
The Supreme Court overturned the appeals court’s ruling in 2019 and ordered a retrial.
Lee has come to de facto command over the country’s top conglomerate and company after his father and chairman Lee Kun-hee passed away in December.
Samsung Display Co. became the first Samsung affiliate last Thursday to sign a collective agreement after eight months since Lee declared the conglomerate would end its ‘no labor union’ policy.
Local business lobbying groups petitioned for merciful ruling citing the possible repercussion of the verdict on other companies working in partnership with Samsung affiliates and the country’s overall economy. But the Monday verdict crushed the hope of Samsung and other business leaders.
Samsung Electronics closed Monday down 3.75 percent to 84,700 won. Samsung C&T shares plunged 7.49 percent to finish at 142,000 won and Samsung Life Insurance tumbled 4.96 percent to 78,500 won.
[ㄏ Maeil Business Newspaper & mk.co.kr, All rights reserved]
Copyright© 매일경제 & mk.co.kr. 무단 전재, 재배포 및 AI학습 이용 금지
- Google, Facebook, Neflix must ensure network and service stability in Korea - Pulse by Maeil Business News Korea
- Samsung heir Lee returns to prison upon sentenced 2 and 1/2 years jail term - Pulse by Maeil Business News Korea
- JW Bioscience invests in Singapore’s molecular diagnostic firm One BioMed - Pulse by Maeil Business News Korea
- Hyundai Nexo hydrogen SUV in safety, spec upgrade and cheaper price tag - Pulse by Maeil Business News Korea
- Korea’s fair trade watchdog bolsters monitoring of mobile app, O2O markets - Pulse by Maeil Business News Korea
- 강경준, 상간남 피소…사랑꾼 이미지 타격 [MK픽] - 스타투데이
- 연간 1억 썼는데…VVIP 탈락하셨네요 [읽을거리]
- ‘위아래’ 만든 신사동호랭이, 숨진 채 발견…향년 41세 (공식) - MK스포츠
- 이찬원, 이태원 참사에 "노래 못해요" 했다가 봉변 당했다 - 스타투데이
- 양희은·양희경 자매, 오늘(4일) 모친상 - 스타투데이