South Koreans spend most on personal items and less on outdoor gears amid Covid-19
Maeil Business Newspaper analyzed household consumptions over the past 50 years and found that consumer spending on household items including furniture, electronics and internet-related gadgets surged to a record-high level last year, while consumption associated with social activities such as fashion items and sports activities plummeted by a double-digit rate.
For the first nine months of last year, spending on groceries, telecommunication related items, electronic devices, furniture, liquor and cigarettes reached the highest level on record dating to 1970. Food and beverage products showed the fastest on-year growth in consumption by 9.3 percent, followed by furniture and home appliances by 7.4 percent, IT devices 4.4 percent, liquor and tobacco 2.7 percent.
On the other hand, consumer spending related to socializing or outdoor activities plunged. Consumption for leisure and sport activities declined 20 percent, clothing and shoes 17.7 percent, education service 15.7 percent, restaurant and hospitality service 9.8 percent.
Total household spending from January to September in 2020 dropped 3.7 percent to 644.98 trillion won ($589.3 billion), but the proportion of spending for essential products and services, including food, rent, home management, appliances and medical cost, soared to a 21-year-high of 40.3 percent.
[¨Ï Maeil Business Newspaper & mk.co.kr, All rights reserved]
Copyright© 매일경제 & mk.co.kr. 무단 전재, 재배포 및 AI학습 이용 금지
- S. Korea ups state subsidies for EV cars, end subsidy for expensive imports like Tesla - Pulse by Maeil Business News Korea
- Psomagen readies to roll out self Covid-19 test kit this year - Pulse by Maeil Business News Korea
- Kakao Bank eclipses traditional banks to win Korea’s ‘Best Bank’ recognition - Pulse by Maeil Business News Korea
- Big foreign IBs benefit from M&As, smaller hurt by tepid foreign stock invest - Pulse by Maeil Business News Korea
- Korea’s Jan-Nov current account surplus 25 percent higher than a year ago - Pulse by Maeil Business News Korea
- 헤이즈 “‘입술’ MV서 이진욱과 호흡, 눈만 봐도 눈물 나”[일문일답]
- PF 부실로 건설업 ‘살얼음판’…자금 흐름 막힌 시공사 현금 확보 비상
- ‘과거 연인’ 이소라·신동엽, 23년 만에 재회…“결혼했다면 우린 이혼했을 것” - MK스포츠
- 이찬원, 이태원 참사에 "노래 못해요" 했다가 봉변 당했다
- 피프티 피프티 ‘큐피드’, 2023 틱톡 글로벌 ‘더 플레이리스트’ 1위