Disney Plus' ESPN to shake Korea's sports broadcasting market
Korean players are beefing up their own sports contents. Mobile carriers SK Telecom, KT and LG Uplus have been using their streaming platforms to experiment with virtual reality and augmented reality technologies in golf or baseball. Wavve, the over-the-top service launched by SK Telecom and Korea’s three terrestrial broadcasters, vastly expanded its user base when it won exclusive broadcasting rights to the 2019 WSBC Premier 12, the international baseball championship featuring the world’s top 12 national teams.
KT in 2018 signed an MOU with Korea’s professional football league with an eye to opening a channel devoted to the K League. Coupang Play, the newly launched streaming service of Korean ecommerce giant Coupang, is also in talks to team up with SPOTV, which owns the broadcasting rights to the European Premier League in Korea.
Disney would be offering a bundle that includes Disney Plus and ESPN Plus, which would give users access to a wide selection of live sports such as NBA and NHL.
Amazon Prime is also upping its sports channel. In 2017, it agreed to pay as much as 10 million pounds ($13.2 million) a year for the rights to the ATP Tour, the world’s top-tier tennis tour for men. It has continued expanding its sports contents portfolio to include NFL and England’s Premier League.
One sports streaming platform that has been gaining traction is FUBO TV, an American service known for its focus on live sports channels, including NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL, MLS and international soccer, as well as news, network television series and movies. Launched in 2015, it has taken its subscription base from 130,000 in 2017 to 310,000 in 2019. By the end of 2020, it had 410,000 subscribers.
[ⓒ Maeil Business Newspaper & mk.co.kr, All rights reserved]
Copyright© 매일경제 & mk.co.kr. 무단 전재, 재배포 및 AI학습 이용 금지
- Korea’s controversial AI chatbot Luda to be shut down temporarily - Pulse by Maeil Business News Korea
- S. Korea to remove short-sale ban as planned in March - Pulse by Maeil Business News Korea
- Korean financial regulator finds Kospi overheated if it hits 3300 - Pulse by Maeil Business News Korea
- Celltrion’s Covid-19 cure, AstraZeneca’s vaccine under emergency use review in Korea - Pulse by Maeil Business News Korea
- Samsung, LG to highlight pioneering screen tech at virtual CES 2021 - Pulse by Maeil Business News Korea
- [인터뷰] ‘스위트홈2’ 진영 “6kg 벌크업, 일주일에 7번 PT 받았죠”
- 서양 관광객 ‘K헤어스타일’ 원해요 [데이터로 보는 세상]
- ‘서민재와 필로폰 투약 혐의’ 남태현, 징역 2년 구형 [MK★이슈] - MK스포츠
- 이찬원, 이태원 참사에 "노래 못해요" 했다가 봉변 당했다
- ‘존윅’ 키아누 리브스 집에 강도 침입...총기 훔쳐 달아나 - 매일경제