Former Yoon staffers linked to alleged NK drone intrusion

Jung Min-kyung 2026. 1. 18. 15:15
음성재생 설정 이동 통신망에서 음성 재생 시 데이터 요금이 발생할 수 있습니다. 글자 수 10,000자 초과 시 일부만 음성으로 제공합니다.
글자크기 설정 파란원을 좌우로 움직이시면 글자크기가 변경 됩니다.

이 글자크기로 변경됩니다.

(예시) 가장 빠른 뉴스가 있고 다양한 정보, 쌍방향 소통이 숨쉬는 다음뉴스를 만나보세요. 다음뉴스는 국내외 주요이슈와 실시간 속보, 문화생활 및 다양한 분야의 뉴스를 입체적으로 전달하고 있습니다.

North Korea claimed on Jan. 10 via the Korean Central News Agency that the North had shot down this drone in Jangpung County, Kaesong, saying a South Korean drone had infiltrated its territory in September last year and on Jan. 4. (KCNA-Yonhap)

Two civilians suspected of involvement in sending a drone into North Korea have been found to have previously worked at the presidential office under the former Yoon Suk Yeol administration.

According to local reports, a suspect believed to have made the drone, whom the police identified only as being in his 30s, previously served as a news monitoring staffer at the presidential spokesperson’s office.

He is believed to have worked at the presidential office in Yongsan-gu at a similar time to another suspect in his 30s, who has publicly claimed in an interview with a local broadcaster that he personally flew the drone into North Korea.

The man investigators believe manufactured the drone was questioned Friday by a joint military-police task force formed to investigate North Korea’s claim earlier this month that a South Korean drone intruded into its airspace in September 2025 and again on Jan. 4 this year.

The suspect had separately been referred to prosecutors in November last year on charges of violating the Aviation Security Act for flying an unregistered drone in Yeoju, Gyeonggi Province.

The drone model involved in that case is reportedly the same as the one currently under investigation. At the time, military and police authorities said there were no indications of espionage after the suspect explained that the flight was a test of an airframe built in a laboratory.

Both suspects went to the same university in Seoul, and later founded a drone manufacturing startup in 2024 with university support, serving as chief executive officer and director, respectively. In 2020, they also jointly organized and participated in a youth group focused on inter-Korean issues.

The second suspect maintains that the first built the drone at his request but did not take part in flying it into the North.

In an interview with Channel A on Friday, he said, “The first suspect bought the main body from a Chinese online marketplace and carried out the first round of modifications, and I attached a camera and flew it into North Korea.”

The second suspect, who previously served as head of a conservative-leaning youth organization, is currently enrolled in a graduate school of journalism at a major university in Seoul. It has been reported that a senior official from the Yoon administration provided a letter of recommendation during his admissions process.

Some political figures have raised suspicions that the incident may have been intended to provoke a response from Pyongyang.

Among the charges Yoon faces in court is one of orchestrating a covert operation to send drones to Pyongyang with the aim of provoking North Korea into a response that could be used to justify the declaration of martial law on Dec. 3 that year.

The second suspect has denied any political motive, saying the drone was sent to measure radiation and heavy metal contamination near a uranium facility along the Yesong River. He claimed the operation was intended to verify allegations — previously dismissed by the government — that nuclear wastewater from North Korea had flowed into the West Sea.

Police said they were investigating whether both suspects conspired in operating the drone, focusing on the motive and circumstances surrounding the incident.

The ruling Democratic Party of Korea has urged investigators to conduct a swift and rigorous probe, including whether any individuals or groups were involved.

“Authorities must (carry out) a prompt and thorough investigation, including whether there were any backers,” party spokesperson Kim Ji-ho said during a Saturday briefing.

“All possibilities must remain open — whether this was a lone act, or whether there were connections or forces operating behind the scenes — and the facts must be clearly established,” he said.

Kim also cautioned against political speculation, saying, “This is not a matter to be handled through conjecture or political interpretation. Investigative authorities must block unnecessary controversy through strict law enforcement and transparent disclosure of the results.”

Democratic Party Rep. Kang Deuk-gu echoed the call for scrutiny, but not the call for restraint on speculation.

“Yoon Suk Yeol and his followers provoked North Korea by mobilizing the military during his time in office, and are now attempting to provoke Pyongyang again through civilian actors,” Kang wrote Saturday on Facebook.

“This does not appear to be an accidental incident, but a typical method of inducing an external crisis,” Kang wrote. He claimed the aim was to provoke a North Korean reaction, trigger a localized conflict on the Korean Peninsula, and amplify far-right narratives such as “Yoon was right” and “war with North Korea is inevitable.”

The joint military-police investigative task force, launched a week earlier, has so far officially summoned and questioned one civilian suspect in connection with North Korea’s claim earlier this month that a South Korean drone intruded into its airspace.

Copyright © 코리아헤럴드. 무단전재 및 재배포 금지.