Seoul bus services to resume Thursday morning after labor, management reach deal

조정우 2026. 1. 15. 00:25
음성재생 설정 이동 통신망에서 음성 재생 시 데이터 요금이 발생할 수 있습니다. 글자 수 10,000자 초과 시 일부만 음성으로 제공합니다.
글자크기 설정 파란원을 좌우로 움직이시면 글자크기가 변경 됩니다.

이 글자크기로 변경됩니다.

(예시) 가장 빠른 뉴스가 있고 다양한 정보, 쌍방향 소통이 숨쉬는 다음뉴스를 만나보세요. 다음뉴스는 국내외 주요이슈와 실시간 속보, 문화생활 및 다양한 분야의 뉴스를 입체적으로 전달하고 있습니다.

City bus services in Seoul will resume Thursday morning after labor and management reached a compromise in wage negotiations late Wednesday, bringing an end to the capital’s longest bus strike.
City buses sit idle at a depot in Eunpyeong District, northern Seoul, on Jan. 14, the second day of the city's bus operators' strike. [YONHAP]

City bus services in Seoul will resume Thursday morning after labor and management reached a compromise in wage negotiations late Wednesday, bringing an end to the capital’s longest bus strike.

Representatives of the bus workers’ union and management resumed talks at 3 p.m. Wednesday and concluded them at 11:55 p.m., sources said. The agreement followed the collapse of earlier negotiations on Monday, when more than 10 hours of discussions failed to produce a deal.

The strike, which began at 4 a.m. Tuesday, disrupted commuting hours in a city where millions of residents rely on public transportation. On Wednesday morning, only 562 of the city’s 7,018 buses, or 8 percent, were in operation.

According to the Seoul Metropolitan Government, the two sides accepted a proposal from the Seoul Regional Labor Relations Commission during the second round of negotiations on Wednesday. The agreement includes a 2.9 percent wage increase and an extension of the retirement age.

The raise is higher than the initial mediation proposal of 0.5 percent but slightly below the 3 percent sought by the union.

Under the agreement, the retirement age will be raised from the current 63 to 64 starting in July and to 65 in July 2027, reflecting the union’s demand through a phased increase.

With bus services returning to normal, the city government said it would lift emergency transportation measures. Subway operating hours that had been extended during the strike will return to their regular schedule, and shuttle buses operated by district offices will be withdrawn.

BY CHO JUNG-WOO [cho.jungwoo1@joongang.co.kr]

Copyright © 코리아중앙데일리. 무단전재 및 재배포 금지.