Child rapist faces return to prison after serving 12 years

Lee Seung-ku 2025. 12. 24. 16:23
자동요약 기사 제목과 주요 문장을 기반으로 자동요약한 결과입니다.
전체 맥락을 이해하기 위해서는 본문 보기를 권장합니다.

"The defendant has repeatedly violated court-issued restrictions and committed another violation even while awaiting judgment after being indicted," a prosecutor said. "Strong punishment is required to protect the public and uphold the effectiveness of the law."

"His cognitive ability has deteriorated, making the risk of reoffending high," the prosecutor added. "He requires medical or psychological treatment."

음성재생 설정 이동 통신망에서 음성 재생 시 데이터 요금이 발생할 수 있습니다. 글자 수 10,000자 초과 시 일부만 음성으로 제공합니다.
글자크기 설정 파란원을 좌우로 움직이시면 글자크기가 변경 됩니다.

이 글자크기로 변경됩니다.

(예시) 가장 빠른 뉴스가 있고 다양한 정보, 쌍방향 소통이 숨쉬는 다음뉴스를 만나보세요. 다음뉴스는 국내외 주요이슈와 실시간 속보, 문화생활 및 다양한 분야의 뉴스를 입체적으로 전달하고 있습니다.

Cho Doo-soon (Yonhap)

Prosecutors on Wednesday asked for a two-year prison term for convicted child rapist Cho Doo-soon after he allegedly violated court-imposed restrictions by leaving his home multiple times during school dismissal hours.

“The defendant has repeatedly violated court-issued restrictions and committed another violation even while awaiting judgment after being indicted,” a prosecutor said. “Strong punishment is required to protect the public and uphold the effectiveness of the law.”

The prosecution also sought court-ordered medical treatment in addition to the prison term.

“His cognitive ability has deteriorated, making the risk of reoffending high,” the prosecutor added. “He requires medical or psychological treatment.”

During his final statement, Cho’s lawyers said that all of the unauthorized outings occurred during revised restriction hours that differed from previous ones, and that in most cases he was stopped by probation officers near the entrance or stairwell.

They also asked the court to consider that Cho is elderly and suffers from dementia and impaired decision-making, making it difficult for him to live a normal daily life.

“I will live in repentance and penance,” Cho said briefly, standing with his hands clasped behind his back.

Cho is charged with leaving his home in Ansan, Gyeonggi Province, four times between March and June without permission. Cho, who was released in 2020 after serving a 12-year prison sentence, is barred from leaving his home during school commuting hours (7 a.m. to 9 a.m.), school dismissal hours (3 p.m. to 6 p.m.) and at night (9 p.m. to 6 a.m.).

He is also charged with damaging an electronic ankle monitor used to track his location.

Cho was convicted in 2008 of kidnapping, raping and severely injuring an elementary school student near a church.

He previously violated a court order restricting nighttime outings in 2023 and served three months in prison.

Copyright © 코리아헤럴드. 무단전재 및 재배포 금지.