President Lee vows to designate flood-ridden Sancheong County a special disaster zone

김사라 2025. 7. 21. 19:52
음성재생 설정 이동 통신망에서 음성 재생 시 데이터 요금이 발생할 수 있습니다. 글자 수 10,000자 초과 시 일부만 음성으로 제공합니다.
글자크기 설정 파란원을 좌우로 움직이시면 글자크기가 변경 됩니다.

이 글자크기로 변경됩니다.

(예시) 가장 빠른 뉴스가 있고 다양한 정보, 쌍방향 소통이 숨쉬는 다음뉴스를 만나보세요. 다음뉴스는 국내외 주요이슈와 실시간 속보, 문화생활 및 다양한 분야의 뉴스를 입체적으로 전달하고 있습니다.

President Lee Jae Myung visited the flood-affected Sancheong County, pledging support and designating it a disaster zone following severe rainfall that caused fatalities and damages.
President Lee Jae Myung, second from right, talks to residents of Sancheong County, South Gyeongsang, on July 21, after heavy rainfall led to a landslide and flooding in the area. [JOINT PRESS CORPS]

President Lee Jae Myung visited Sancheong County in South Gyeongsang on Monday, an area where 10 people died and others went missing following the devastating heavy rainfall and flooding last week, promising to designate the area a special disaster zone as soon as possible.

At a welfare center in Sancheong-eup, the headquarters of the support center for rain damage relief, Lee received briefings on the situation from Interior Minister Yun Ho-jung and South Gyeongsang Gov. Park Wan-soo. He later met with individuals impacted by the extreme weather.

While visiting the site of heavy rain damage, Lee said that the most immediate priority is to rescue impacted residents, followed by recovery and restoration.

Lee's visit follows torrential rainfall that has inundated Korea since Wednesday, bringing landslides and floods. Some 383 millimeters (15 inches) of precipitation fell in Sancheong on Saturday, leading to a landslide that resulted in 10 deaths, four missing people and additional injuries and displacements.

Fire authorities Monday estimate at least 548 cases of damaged property, including flooded farmland. They have so far deployed 1,260 personnel and 186 items of equipment to carry out emergency recovery in the area in response to a request by Sancheong County head Lee Seung-hwa, who stressed that it was "urgent to quickly declare a special disaster zone."

Such designated areas are eligible for governmental financial support for recovery efforts, relief funds and other benefits.

President Lee Jae Myung, right, inspects rain damage in a visit to Sancheong County, South Gyeongsang, on July 21. The area was affected by the heavy rainfall last week and a landslide which led to 10 deaths and others missing. [JOINT PRESS CORPS]

Lee Jae Myung noted that is it important for evacuees to return, ordering relevant ministries to mobilize resources to the best of their ability.

The president asked why damage was concentrated in the town and asked if there was "anything lacking in manpower, equipment or supplies." He then requested prompt support at the government level.

President Lee later visited residents who had been affected by the landslide that day to offer his condolences.

One resident shared that "civil servants stepped forward and carried the elderly on their backs, reducing casualties."

To this, Lee instructed on-site personnel to "find cases where damage was reduced through early response."

The president further ordered officials to "mobilize all resources and administrative power, including emergency budget, to swiftly support the affected residents."

Lee Jae Myung also met in person with residents who had been displaced and were staying at temporary shelters. He emphasized that his Cabinet was "working together to protect the safety of the people, which is the first responsibility of the state," presidential spokesperson Kang Yu-jung said.

The president told municipal authorities that it was especially urgent to restore the homes of displaced individuals after hearing that residents had been forced to evacuate without essential items including clothes and shoes.

Lee ordered special disaster relief grants for South Gyeongsang, Gwangju and North and South Jeolla, areas that also suffered severe damage from the heavy rain.

Kang also addressed a situation in Sejong, South Chungcheong, in which local authorities including police, fire departments and disaster relief command centers had been unaware that a man in his 40s was missing in floodwaters for some 23 hours.

She stressed that the government would hold local governments accountable if there had been any lack of discipline or violations were found in relation to the incident.

Lee instructed Minister Yun to quickly declare the affected area a special disaster zone and mobilize all resources and administrative power, including budget support.

BY SARAH KIM [kim.sarah@joongang.co.kr]

Copyright © 코리아중앙데일리. 무단전재 및 재배포 금지.