Calls to ban electric scooters grow in Seoul as PM device-related complaints hit 380,000

김민영 2024. 10. 15. 14:08
음성재생 설정 이동 통신망에서 음성 재생 시 데이터 요금이 발생할 수 있습니다. 글자 수 10,000자 초과 시 일부만 음성으로 제공합니다.
글자크기 설정 파란원을 좌우로 움직이시면 글자크기가 변경 됩니다.

이 글자크기로 변경됩니다.

(예시) 가장 빠른 뉴스가 있고 다양한 정보, 쌍방향 소통이 숨쉬는 다음뉴스를 만나보세요. 다음뉴스는 국내외 주요이슈와 실시간 속보, 문화생활 및 다양한 분야의 뉴스를 입체적으로 전달하고 있습니다.

Approximately 380,000 complaints regarding personal mobility (PM) devices have been filed with the Seoul City government since 2021.
A tow truck picks up abandoned e-scooters near a cross-walk in Seoul Plaza in Jung District, central Seoul, in 2022. [NEWS1]

Approximately 380,000 complaints regarding personal mobility (PM) devices have been filed with the Seoul City government since 2021.

According to data submitted to Democratic Party Rep. Han Byung-do by the Seoul Metropolitan Government for parliamentary inspection, PM-related complaints rose by approximately 4.5 times from 31,353 counts in 2021 to 141,347 in 2023. Over 111,211 additional complaints were filed by August this year.

PM devices refer to electric vehicles with a maximum speed of 25 kilometers (15.5 miles) per hour and a weight of up to 30 kilograms (66 pounds). PM devices include the electric scooter, which gained international infamy earlier this year when boy band BTS member Suga made headlines for drunk driving on the vehicle in August.

Accidents related to PM devices steadily increased, with 134 cases in 2019 rising to 500 by 2023.

Illegally parked electric scooters are also an issue. In response, the Seoul Metropolitan Government has been implementing a towing system since July 2021. The budget allocated for towing until August of this year alone amounts to 7.95 billion won ($5.84 million).

“The towing system, which was implemented to protect pedestrian safety and convenience, is not solving the problem and is merely draining the budget,” said Rep. Han. "Seoul must actively work on fundamental measures that can ensure the safety of both pedestrians and PM device users."

"Since the towing cost is fully reimbursed when the rental companies retrieve their towed PM devices and pay the towing fees, it is not true that nearly 8 billion won has been spent,” the Seoul Metropolitan Government said Tuesday in a press release.

Electric scooters have already been banned in cities like Paris and Melbourne, Australia, and some local governments have also prohibited their use in Germany.

Similar movements are being observed in Seoul. During a meeting of the Transportation Committee of the Seoul Metropolitan Council held last month, there were calls to ban electric scooters and other personal mobility devices.

At the time, Seoul City Council member Yun Young-hee pointed out, "With the current level of regulation, we will not be able to reduce incidents and accidents related to PM devices."

The Seoul Metropolitan Government has yet to develop any significant measures beyond towing.

BY LEE SOO-KI, KIM MIN-YOUNG [kim.minyoung5@joongang.co.kr]

Copyright © 코리아중앙데일리. 무단전재 및 재배포 금지.